Friday, November 17, 2006




#17 - My Darling Clementine (1946, John Ford)

Whoo hoo, more Ford! I also saw The Informer (not on the blog's itinerary) today. This guy is pretty damn essential to any discussion of American culture (although i could've told you that before I began my binge - three films in two weeks isn't exactly a binge though, is it?).

Ford's pictures with Henry Fonda bring out the lily-livered blue-stater I never tried to hide, a way to enjoy a John Ford film without that John Wayne aftertaste ("Whoa, take 'er easy there, pilgrim"). I kid because I love, but My Darling Clementine is one of Hollywood's gentlest westerns, pre-Costner division.

The characters are much more sophisticated and well-mannered than in most westerns. If I called Stagecoach an Arch DeLuxe a couple posts ago, My Darling Clementine is McFoie Gras (no more McDonald's puns EVER AGAIN, I promise). Surprisingly non-action-packed although it does climax with the famed shootout at the OK Corral, the film is more of an old-west melodrama, a love triangle triggering a meditation on friendship. Wyatt Earp (Fonda) comes to town with vengeance on his mind, looking for the outlaws who killed his younger brother. But Earp is not bloodthirsty, he wants these men to face justice, although he'll resort to violence when the legal system is not an option. Victor Mature plays Doc Holliday, whose girlfriend Clementine from back east comes to Tombstone, setting up a rivalry between Doc and Wyatt.

It's late and it's already been like 4 days since I watched this so I'll just duck out and say, My Darling Clementine is good and you should watch it. Bye.

New #100: Salo

No comments: